blank'/> Kiwi Fruit Chronicles: There's a what, where?

Friday, 17 October 2014

There's a what, where?

By Lyn-

Welcome to our very hi-tech Virtual Baby Shower weekend! Kelley asked me to do the first post, largely because we aren't really sure if this blog works and we want to see if our notification settings are correct. You are part of a grand experiment. 

First off, thank you. Not just for supporting us during our marriage, big move, and baby-making venture, but for finding all of this interesting enough to visit our humble blog. We will try to keep it interesting so that you don't feel like you have wasted your time here instead of working (I assume that everyone reading this is either at work or procrastinating on something). I have included a couple of tabs to photo albums of New Zealand and from our wedding, in case you want to kill some time with those.


We had originally talked about trying to do something on Skype but the technological and logistical challenges were well beyond our pay grade. Instead, let me just make a blanket invitation to chat on Skype or Google chat whenever you have the time. Aside from the fact that we can work around schedules, we can also gossip about other people who aren't on the call, which is difficult when everyone is dialed in. 

We are started to get to the point where the reality is setting in a bit that there is a baby on the way on not just that I ate a lot of salty food. While we are excited about our new addition, it is hard not being able to share all of this with our friends and family. My hope for this blog is that you will be a part of this adventure, even though you are far away, and we can maintain an international village around our little family. After the shower is done, I will be periodically posting photos and updates on here. There is a subscribe link on the bottom (I think) if you want to receive emails when new things get posted. I promise not to fill up your inbox. 

Over the next week we are going to post a series of questions, challenges, or games on here. Your participation is mandatory. I have been tasked with coming up with the first challenge so I am going to go with one that is starting to seem a bit more pressing, namely:

What should I put on my awesome labor soundtrack?

They try to keep you laboring at home as long as possible and, since I can only watch so many cartoons and going for a hike is probably out of the question, I am putting together a playlist of songs that I can listen to whilst my insides become outsides (or something like that, I didn't pay attention in our prenatal classes). I am looking for songs that are relaxing, not too sappy, and will play in the background fairly unobtrusively but also give me something to focus on besides how much I am going to get revenge on Mike for kissing me when I was wearing that bikini (I didn't pay attention in biology class, either). So far my list has some Sade and a lot of women with guitars. What songs would you recommend?

Thank you again for playing along and being a part of our lives!

p.s. Are you available to babysit?



4 comments:

  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeJkbqjQvnk

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling you will be in the hospital this weekend giving birth. ;-) Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still a couple of weeks to go, but any time in November she will be cooked and ready to roll. Can't do it this weekend because we are still looking for furniture.

      Delete
  3. Bahaha! Ya good luck with that. I spent a fair amount of time getting all the right music ready and the making sure it was all packed and ready to go & then maybe an hour after the event me or Mike being like, "oh ya, we had music..." :) But it did help me to feel prepared on some level & like I had some control over some part. I had some native american flute, classical, enya, reggae, mostly upbeat things to distract or mellow things. But no worries if it gets forgotten, your time just melts away with each contraction and trying to time them and figure out what's going on with your body, etc. So don't worry if you find you don't use it or don't want it once you get into that alternate universe.

    ReplyDelete